Amenities, services begin to reopen
Last updated 5/6/2020 at 1:10pm
Security Public Library
After several weeks with no physical services, Security Public Library has announced limited borrowing and return capabilities.
The two drop boxes at the library and Safeway are now open for returns. In addition, the library will begin curbside service the week of May 4 during limited hours. Place your requests through the catalog, email [email protected] or call 719-391-3196. Staff will contact you when your items are ready for pickup.
Other services will be added in the future. There is no patron access to the library at this time. Library staff said they thank patrons for their patience.
Fountain Public Library
The Pikes Peak Library District is working on a schedule to re-open gradually, including curbside service. Those dates are not yet finalized. In the meantime, patrons should continue to keep their materials. There are no late fees unless items are damaged. Online services remain available through http://www.ppld.org.
El Paso County Parks begin gradual reopening
Beginning May 4
• Park Headquarters will be open Monday–Friday from 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
• Park restrooms will begin to open.
• County Fairgrounds Office will be open Monday–Friday from 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Beginning May 5
• Fountain Creek and Bear Creek Nature Centers will be open Tuesday –Saturday 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Access will be limited to nine people at one time per the Colorado Safer at Home Order. No organized programs or activities until further notice.
Beginning May 9
• Rainbow Falls Historic Site will be open on Saturdays and Sundays, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
• Playgrounds and pavilions will remain closed per the Colorado Safer at Home Order until further notice.
• Park facility reservations above nine individuals are currently not being accepted through May 27 per the Governor’s Order.
The public is encouraged to visit elpasoco.com for online services, email to [email protected], or call 719-520-7529. The remainder of County parks, trails and open spaces remain open.
“Our highest priority is the health and safety of our citizens and staff,” a spokesperson said. “During this time, we remain vigilant in taking steps to make sure your visit to El Paso County Parks and Facilities is safe and enjoyable as possible. Park users are highly encouraged to practice social distancing and wear coverings while enjoying the County park system.”
Pikes Peak announces changes effective May 1
North Slope Recreation Area opens for fishing Friday
Pikes Peak – America’s Mountain has resumed accepting cash and credit cards beginning. To minimize interaction between visitors and staff, a 20-percent discount will be available to guests who purchase tickets online in May. Visit http://www.pikespeakcolorado.com and use the code “May20” to receive the discount. Gateway hours are 9 a.m.– 3 p.m.
The Summit House, Glen Cove and all picnic areas are closed through June 1. Restrooms are available at the Gateway, Crystal Reservoir and Glen Cove. No services, including restrooms, will be available on the summit. Due to utility work, there will be no access to the summit on May 1. Guests are asked to follow social distancing guidelines and wear masks in populated areas such as parking lots and restrooms. If guests do not feel well, they’re asked to visit another time.
Guests should call 719-385-7325 for the latest road conditions and as always, access is weather permitting and no refunds are available.
The North Slope Recreation Area opens for fishing Friday. Visit http://www.pikespeakcolorado.com to purchase a one-day pass and view regulations. South Catamount Reservoir and Crystal Reservoir are open, but North Catamount Reservoir is closed due to icy conditions. South Catamount Reservoir requires a free online parking reservation. Crystal Reservoir levels are low due to a Colorado Springs Utilities project that has been postponed until 2021. The reservoir will be filled this year, but will not be restocked until the project is complete.
Fountain Recycling Center opened Tuesday, May 5, with COVID-19 Social Distancing Measures:
· Hours of operation: Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays: 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
· Staff is not able to assist customers with unloading or sorting of items.
· Access into the Recycling Center will be controlled by staff to allow only one vehicle/customer within the Recycling Center at a time.
· Recycling Center will be open for customer drop-off only, there will be no access to volunteer garden or community library.
City of Fountain parks
Fountain opened up parks and playgrounds on Monday, including the dog park, but restrooms remain closed.
There will be no reservations for pavilions until the end of the month, and officials request people remain in groups of 10 or fewer people.