Census operations to resume
Last updated 5/19/2020 at 9:10pm | View PDF
The U.S. Census Bureau is resuming 2020 Census field operations in Colorado this week. For the health and safety of census employees and the public, field staff will practice social distancing and wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
U.S. Census Bureau field employees will begin dropping off 2020 Census invitation packets at front doors of households in areas that do not receive mail at their homes. This operation follows current federal health and safety guidelines and does not require interaction between households and census workers.
Households that receive the 2020 Census invitation packets are strongly encouraged to respond promptly using the census ID included in the questionnaire packet. Coloradans can still respond online, by phone, or by completing and returning the paper form by mail. Responding online with the Census ID or completing and returning the paper questionnaire helps ensure an accurate count of Colorado communities.
The Census Bureau is also resuming fingerprinting for new census takers to keep applicants moving through the hiring process. Census staff will also return to Colorado’s four Area Census Offices to support the field operation.
Later this year, the U.S. Census Bureau plans to send census takers to visit Colorado households that have not responded to the 2020 Census to help them complete questionnaires.
Respond to the census on your own – all without having to meet a census taker. Go to 2020census.gov or call 1-844-330-2020.
• The 2020 Census is a short questionnaire that asks about who lives in your household as of April 1, 2020.
• The 2020 Census requires counting a diverse and growing population in the United States and the five U.S. territories.
• The 2020 Census is important because it will determine the number of seats each state has in the U.S. House of Representatives, inform hundreds of billions of dollars in federal funding, and provide data that will impact communities for the next decade.
• Responding to the 2020 Census is safe and secure. Individual responses are confidential and protected by law.
• The current deadline to respond to the 2020 Census is October 31, 2020.