Pasta e Piselli
Last updated 1/20/2021 at 9:43am
Our fastest soup – just 10 minutes to prepare, 15 minutes to cook. Cousin to the Italian favorite Pasta e Fagioli (pasta and beans), this is made with peas instead. Dust with freshly grated Parmesan for an irresistible touch.
2 cups (about 8 ounces) mixed pasta shapes or elbow macaroni
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, crushed with side of chef’s knife
2 cans (14 1/2-ounce) chicken broth, or 3 1/2 cups homemade chicken broth
1 can (14 1/2-ounce) diced tomatoes
1/4 cup (packed) fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
1 package (10-ounce) frozen peas, thawed
Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Cook pasta as label directs in boiling salted water; drain.
2. Meanwhile, in 4-quart saucepan or saucepot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic; cook until golden, about 5 minutes.
3. Remove saucepan from heat. Then, carefully add chicken broth, tomatoes with their juice, basil and 1/2 cup water. Return to heat; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 5 minutes; discard garlic.
4. Add peas and pasta; heat through. Serve soup with grated Parmesan cheese if you like. Serves 5.
* Each serving: About 290 calories, 7g total fat (1g saturated), 8mg cholesterol, 705 mg sodium, 46g carb., 11g protein.
For thousands of triple-tested recipes, visit our Web site at http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food-recipes/.
(c) 2021 Hearst Communications, Inc.
All rights reserved