Fire burns Heritage home
Last updated 6/16/2021 at 9:23am | View PDF
A fire damaged a home in the Heritage neighborhood of Fountain late Thursday, near the intersection of Hibbard Lane and Descendant Drive.
Fountain Fire Department said the fire started in a shed containing lithium batteries and quickly spread to the house, causing significant damage. Residents were unharmed but lost many possession.
Neighbor Michael Rafferty said his daughter woke him around 11:30 p.m., and they could see the flames from their house. It appeared to have been in progress for a little while when he first saw it, but local first responders worked swiftly to extinguish it. Rafferty said the scene was "shocking." He is working with The Salvation Army Fountain Valley Corps to assist if anyone needs resources. Elizabeth Eagle lives a few blocks away said it was "very scary" to witness.
Fire Chief James Maxon advised residents to keep doors inside their homes closed as much as possible, as that slows the spread of fire. An open door may have been a factor in the quick spread of this blaze.