Fountain Valley News - Your Hometown Community Newspaper

Wag of the Week

 

Last updated 1/5/2022 at 9:13am

Jasper

Jasper is a gorgeous 2-year-old Border Collie mix. He's athletic and smart. He loves to play ball and run. He needs an active family and lots of exercise. He's good with other dogs, and very affectionate. Please be careful if you play with balls – I have read some stories of them getting caught in dogs' mouths. My own get lots of toys but not balls, even of the tennis variety. I also don't let them take their indoor toys out, and always supervise, because some have squeakers. I'm about to swear off squeaker toys, because I see them disemboweled, with squeakers on the ground, which could have been eaten. One of my dogs, still a pup at a year and a half, will eat eyes off a stuffed animal made for kids, so I have to be very vigilant. From online: two of the four most dangerous things for dogs, aside from rawhide and marrow bones:

Rubber balls or latex balls with only one hole have become stuck on a dog's lips or tongue. Since the balls have only one hole they are becoming suctioned to the dog's mouth and there is no way to release the pressure. Extreme suction on one area for an extended period of time can cause extensive tissue damage that is often irreparable. In order to avoid this problem, make sure that all rubber or latex balls chosen for your pet have either multiple holes, or no holes at all. (Again, my choice is none at all.) There are rubber rings that will roll like a ball; much safer.)

Small Toys: Toys that are too small pose choking risks as well as the potential to cause an intestinal foreign body. Balls and stuffed animals that are small enough to be swallowed are incredibly dangerous. Cat toys are the most common offenders and are often small enough to be swallowed but too large to make it all the way through the intestines. Another common culprit are pieces of larger toys that have been torn apart and are then eaten. Swallowing these things can result in an intestinal blockage that requires emergency surgery to correct.

In order to make sure this does not happen to your pet, be sure to choose toys that pose absolutely no risk of being swallowed and make sure you pick up all toys that have been shredded into smaller pieces.

AARF holds adoption fairs at Petsmart on Powers Saturdays 11-2: 2965 N New Center Pt., Colorado Springs, CO 80922. More info: Julie at 375-1200 (land line) or Cathy at 761-5320. Email: [email protected] or [email protected] Facebook: AARF Colorado; website: aarfcolorado.com

If you have adopted one of our dogs, and have a success story to share, please do: write [email protected]

 

Reader Comments(0)

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2021

Rendered 08/08/2022 20:54