Fountain Mesa Road construction update
Last updated 4/7/2022 at 10:52am | View PDF
Construction of a roundabout at the intersection of Fountain Mesa Road and Caballero/Fortman avenues soon will switch sides, meaning traffic will be moved to the west side of Fountain Mesa while contractors begin work on the east side.
At that time, Fortman Avenue will experience closures and diverted traffic. Officials estimate this phase to begin April 12, pending weather.
Fortman Avenue at Fountain Mesa Road will be closed with traffic detoured north on Fortman Avenue to Medicine Bow Avenue. This detour will be in place for approximately two months.
Note: Construction activities are weather dependent and subject to change, which may impact this construction schedule and duration.
Contractor Kiewit Infrastructure and El Paso County have made substantial progress in the past few months. Work completed so far includes:
- Asphalt milling/overlay paving and striping operations on Fountain Mesa Road from Caballero Avenue to Fontaine Boulevard
- Traffic control which includes converting Fountain Mesa Road and Caballero Avenue intersection from traffic signal controlled to stop signs
- Flashing lights installed on stop signs for increased safety visibility
- Removed overhead signs and signal poles
- Located/relocated utilities
- Removed trees, asphalt, curb, gutter and sidewalks on west side of Fountain Mesa Road necessary for reconstructing the road configuration
- New roadway sub-grade and base on the west side of the intersection
- New curb and gutter and underground stormwater system improvements on west side of intersection
- New sidewalk and curb ramps on west side of intersection
The public can expect to see the following activities in the months ahead:
- Asphalt paving on west side of intersection
- Installation of pedestrian detour around east side of intersection
- Removals of trees, asphalt, curb, gutter and sidewalk necessary for reconstructing the road configuration on east side of Fountain Mesa Road
- New underground stormwater system improvements on east side of intersection
- New roadway sub-grade and base on the east side of the intersection
The project timeline anticipates completion of the intersection later this year.
The El Paso County project initiated this project to improve traffic management and safety at the intersection of Fountain Mesa Road and Caballero/Fortman Avenue. The new intersection roundabout also includes pedestrian crossing areas, drainage, lighting and restriping of Fountain Mesa Road north of the intersection to Fontaine Boulevard as one lane in each direction with a center left-turn lane and outside shoulders.
FOR MORE INFORMATION AND QUESTIONS:
Email: [email protected]
Project Phone/Recorded Messages: 719-244-9674