Fountain Mesa traffic switch coming
Last updated 6/10/2022 at 11:40am
On Saturday, June 11, and Monday, June 13, Fountain Mesa Road will remain reduced to one lane in each direction from Mesa Ridge Parkway to Caballero/Fortman Avenue for striping operations. This will complete the repaving of the section of Fountain Mesa just north of Mesa Ridge that has been done over the last week.
In addition, crews will be closing off half of the signalized intersection at the Janitell Junior High School/Lowe's Home Improvement intersection. When the west side of Fountain Mesa Road is closed, the west side of the intersection will also be closed, and vice versa.
Crews will be working 7 a.m - 6 p.m daily, but the lane reduction will be in place 24 hours a day. Traffic management devices will be picked up for this work by Tuesday, June 14.
The contractor will need to close half of the road at a time, while striping that closed area. Once complete, they will switch the traffic to the other half and work on the remaining half.
Note: Construction activities are weather dependent and subject to change, which may impact this construction schedule and duration.
Caballero and Fortman Avenues limited access - Begins June 20
Beginning the morning of Monday, June 20, Fountain Mesa Road will allow for through traffic and right turn movements to Caballero and Fortman Avenues.
• When traveling north on Fountain Mesa Road motorists can access Fortman Avenue with a right turn.
• When traveling south on Fountain Mesa Road motorist can access Caballero Avenue with a right turn.
• No left turn movements will be available.
• The road configuration will remain in place for the next 30 days.
Construction progress to date:
Contractor Kiewit Infrastructure and El Paso County expect to complete this project by the end of July, before the school year begins.
• Asphalt milling/overlay paving and striping operations on Fountain Mesa Road from north of Caballero Avenue to Fontaine Boulevard
• Removed overhead signs and signal poles
• Located/relocated utilities
• Removed trees, asphalt, curb, gutter and sidewalks necessary for reconstructing the intersection configuration
• New roadway sub-grade and base for the intersection
• New curb and gutter and underground stormwater system
• New sidewalk and curb ramps
• New intersection lighting installed
• Full-depth asphalt reconstruction at the intersection
• Asphalt milling/overlay paving and striping operations on Fountain Mesa Road from south of Caballero Avenue to Mesa Ridge Parkway
The public can expect to see the following activities in the months ahead:
• Median cover material installed in remaining locations
• Installing central roundabout median
• Installing splitter islands on Caballero Avenue and Fortman Avenue
• Paving the top layer of the asphalt
• Landscaping activities
• Final pavement markings and signage
• Remaining punch list items
• Project clean-up
Email: [email protected]
Project Phone/Recorded Messages: 719-244-9674
Stay informed: Send an email requesting to receive project updates to: [email protected]